Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 20:58:58 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD??? Intel? - NOT

Jim Bryant wrote:

> > I really don't know how people get started with this.  HP has _never_ stated
> > that the chip will handle it; all they have stated is that HPUX applications
> > will continue to be supported.
> >
> > I suggest you people go read comp.arch for a while; there's a fair bit of
> > information cropping up there.  For example, there's a wonderful thread going
> > on about HP's previous experience with architecture emulation, including some
> > interesting comments by people at HP.
>
> Well, the way I understand things, HP-UX 11 comes in two flavors, 32
> bits and 64 bits.  I think that 32-bit code is handled in a legacy
> emulation under 64 bit 11, I'd have to double check that though with
> the book.

PA-8000 (PA-RISC 2.0 architecture) has harware support for the 32-bit
(PA-RISC 1.1 architecture) instructions. It's configured by one
of the bits in the status register. Alas, HP does not have the
PA-RISC 2.0 specs online but they have a whitepaper describing
the additions in a nutshell. But I guess internally the system
calls are implemented as 64-bit. Speaking about Merced, the same
thing is done in SCO/IBM Monterey-64, all the kernel including
the implementation of the 32-bit system calls (the UnixWare IA-32
compatibility subsystem) works in the 64-bit mode.

-SB