Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:01:54 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:30:48PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >         The mouse (Belkin? or something like that) has a switch
> >         between "Microsoft" and "PS2";  we didn't try the PS2
> >         but the "Microsoft" setting definitely failed.
> >
> >         The mouse on this box is that works here wouldn't work on
> >         the other FBSD computer.
> >
> >         gary
> >
> >         PS: It occurs to me to rcp over the /etc/XF86Config from here
> >         make the X -> link and try again with this mouse.  Didn't think
> >         of that last night... .
>
> Did you use an adapter to connect from ps/2 to serial. No all adapters
> are created equal :). Only the one that came with the mouse has worked
> for me.

	Well, looks like, at a minimum, *this* mouse on my other machine
	wasn't working because my /etc/ttys entry for "COM2" was wrong.
	As for the ps/2 side of things, no, I didn't use any adaptor.

	The remote mouse was either a cheap or free mouse that CompUSA or
	whatever store was giving away.  If it came with an adaptor,
	it's long lost!  At any rate, in the "Microsoft" mode, the
	1st and 3rd buttons (only) worked.  Because I didn't use the
	keyboard/mouse/CRT that much, I didn't pay much attention to
	it.  Now it's a different story.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix