Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:11:13 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>, Kyle <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Linh Pham wrote:

> On 2001-04-17, Jeremiah Gowdy scribbled:
>
> # This is not entirely true.  Although the P4 has a 400mhz bus speed, actual
> # testing shows that the Pentium 4 puts out almost the same throughput as it's
> # 100/133mhz counterparts, it simply takes more clocks to do so.  The
> # applications in which the Pentium 4 wins are SSE/SSE2 optimized.  These are
> # not all that common.  If you're referring to MPEG-4 encoding as tested in
> # Tom's Hardware, remember that the Pentium 4 got the crap kicked out of it in
> # the non-SSE2 non-3DNow! optimized version of the test, and since the
> # application wouldn't even BE SSE2 optimized if it weren't for Intel not
> # liking the results of the benchmark, I don't really care much for the Intel
> # optimized benchmark.  If Intel were going to go around and optimize
> # EVERYONE's software, that would be another story.
>
> I forgot to include the note about SSE2... thanks for mentioning that :)
>
> The Pentium 4 does suffer from not only a crippled architecture but also
> from the higher memory access latency, thanks to DRDRAM. The longer
> pipeline affects the core speed, not the bus side (or, at least not
> directly). The longer the pipeline, the clock rate must be higher to
> run at the same speed as a processor with a lower clock rate and a
> shorter pipeline.
>
> The reason why the Pentium 4 has a 100Mhz QDR (quad data rate) FSB is to
> match the bandwidth of the dual Rambus memory channel architecture...
> not because the pipeline is longer.
>
> # Not to mention the fact that the Pentium 4 clocks down as the processor
> # heats up, causing a Pentium 4 1.5ghz to run at 750 mhz when the load is 100%
> # (1.0) for an extended period of time.  No wonder the Pentium 4 1.5 ghz loses
> # head to head with an Athlon 1.2 ghz in non-Intel optimized testing.  The
> # processor speed steps like a laptop depending on the power/heat conditions.
> # Even calling such a cpu a 1.5 ghz is a stretch in my opinion with that
> # underclocking.  The P4 will run at 1.5 ghz when idle, but then clock down to
> # 750 mhz when the load is 1.0.  What the heck is the point of that ?!  It's
> # more than happy to burn away power idling at 1.5 ghz, but when the processor
> # is actually needed to get some work done, it has to underclock to avoid
> # overheating.  "1.5 ghz, except when you need it."
> #
> # http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/13/2041238&mode=thread
> # http://www.inqst.com/articles/p4bandwidth/p4bandwidthmain.htm
>
> Kyle from HardOCP posted on Sunday 04.15.2001 refuting the article that
> was written about the Pentium 4 throttling down. There isn't a direct
> link to Kyle's note, but you can find it at http://hardocp.com.
>
> According to Kyle, the throttling option can be enabled/disabled from
> within the BIOS setup and that the processor shouldn't be throttling at
> all if there is proper cooling.

> [...]

	Jeremiah has a very good point on the price/performance ratio
since the AMD wins a few times over the Intel's in terms of performance.
I know this might be offtopic but I was looking at the distributed.net rc5
and the AMD does 3.5 keys/sec per Mhz on the Athlon while the Intel
PII/PIII/Celeron's all do 3.3 keys/sec per Mhz but the PowerPC G4 does
like 8.1 keys/sec per Mhz which seems to smoke the Intel/AMD platforms.
Now, since Mac OSX is out which is based on FreeBSD even though their
kernel is Mach based, would a G4 400 like the Cube be more powerful than a
1Ghz AMD or Intel?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin