Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 20:46:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On 05-Mar-98 Stephen McKay wrote:
> Simon Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> How about getting rid of that ``%d more silo overflow..'' message?  I am
>> too limited in my understanding device drivers to see why that happens.
>> I though that UARTs and RS-232C were well understood.
>
> Do you have a Matrox Millennium?  I borrowed a Matrox Millennium II for
> a while and put it in my Pentium 133 box.  Suddenly I got silo overflows
> when there was simultaneous incoming serial data and X activity (like
> scrolling a 60 line xterm window).  When I returned the Millennium and
> put my Trio64V+ card back in, all serial problems disappeared.  At the
> time,
> I was running the serial port at only 38400, but now run it at 115200
> with
> no problems.
>
> I didn't do enough investigation to even guess at the cause.  I looked in
> the XFree86 server code for interrupt disabling but found nothing
> interesting.
>
> I was wondering though if any PCI experts knew if a PCI video card could
> starve the PCI-ISA bridge of cycles.  Any experts out there?

Now this is really interesting.  There is a Matrox Millenium in the machine
but it does no X at the moment.  A Matrox will not be happy with a COM4
port.  They stomp on each other.  So does an ATI Mach64.
Yes, a nasty video card will do ugly things to the PCI bus.
BTW, most these S3 cards will not work across a PCI-PCi bridge.  Never
understood why...