Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 13:59:10 -0500
From:      NOC-IPAD <sysadmin@greeves.mfn.org>
To:        "eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com" <eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com>, "'Doug White'" <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Dumb terminals

Actually, you don't want the null modem cable: this will prevent some
of the control signals from properly flowing between the terminal and the
host.  If you use a straight thru with 2/3 reversal, the host will automagically
log out any terminal that is turnerd off (VERY nice for insecure environments).

The only time we have found the use of a null-modem cable to be actually
_necessary_, is when using a serial terminal as the console: for some reason
the console can't have a straight-thru connection.  I wonder why???

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 eric_floerchinger@albertsons.com wrote:

> How hard is it to connect character-mode dumb terminals (Such as an NCR
> 2900, a Wyze 50, etc) to a FreeBSD box?  I'd also like to know of any
> documentation out there regarding this application.

As long as they're standard serial terminals (none of this silly IBM coax
stuff) then all you need is a null-modem cable and a free serial port.
Plug everything in then enable the appropriate getty in /etc/ttys, kill -1
1, and  your terminal should come up with a login: prompt.