Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 20:15:51 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        unknown@riverstyx.net, bright@rush.net, hodeleri@seattleu.edu, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Music to code by

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 09:47:06PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Sorry, but I just don't get this whole thread; how can anyone code
> at their best while listening to music?  The idea that my phone
> might ring or that someone might show up and demand my attention
> is enough that I can't get to my deepest level of concentration
> due to anticipating the mere possibility of interruption.  My best
> work is always achieved at home or in an office with the door closed.

This is why I use music when coding.  Something repetetive, but still
there - in order to screen out all other distractions.  Usually I try
to have trance without any vocals.  I do not want *any* interruptions
- this includes hearing random noise from outside, or the phone rining
(I play my music loud :-), or other people coming into my office.  DES
tends to just sit down besides me when he want to get hold of me while
I'm working, and he sometimes just gives up and leaves again :-)

I do not consiously hear the music when I'm concentrating - I've
sometimes taken sets I've "heard' at least a hundred times while
working and listened to them while not concentrating on other things,
and there are whole songs I've just not noticed...

Eivind.