Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 12:20:10 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFilter not free software?

I came across this on http://lwn.net/2001/0524/index.php3

Reactions?

  IPFilter is the firewalling system used in FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
  NetBSD; it provides many of the same features as the Linux "netfilter"
  package. The IPFilter code is copyrighted by Darren Reed, and has long
  carried the following license text:

    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
    provided that this notice is preserved and due credit is given to the
    original author and the contributors.

  A recent update, however, has added the following:

    Yes, this means that derivitive or modified works are not permitted
    without the author's prior consent.

  That means, of course, that IPFilter is not free (or even open source)
  software.

  Mr. Reed claims that this is not a license change, that the IPFilter
  license has never allowed the modification of the code. This, of
  course, has come as a surprise to some users, who had assumed that an
  important part of BSD would be distributed under the BSD license. It
  is also not surprising that, in a free software climate, people might
  interpret "use" to include modification.

  This is not a theoretical issue. OpenBSD distributes a modified
  version of IPFilter; the modifications, they say, are needed to make
  IPFilter work properly with their system. OpenBSD leader Theo de Raadt
  has told us he does not believe the "reinterpretation" of the license
  is valid. Mr. de Raadt is not known for backing down from
  confrontations, so an interesting legal situation could develop here.

  Mr. Reed is unconcerned about potential problems with his license.
  What if he gets hit by a bus and no longer distributes updates to
  IPFilter? "I won't care, I'll finally get to RIP." He also refused to
  answer questions from LWN ("I really don't like Linux").