Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:32:48 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc:        "WhiteWinterWolf (Simon)" <freebsd.lists@whitewinterwolf.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Subject:   Re: WPA2 bugz - One Man's Quick & Dirty Response

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 05:43:44PM -0500, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> I fear I must wade into this thread, despite it being thick with FUD.
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 07:27:42PM +0200, WhiteWinterWolf (Simon) wrote:
> > Hi Ronald,
> >
> > Le 18/10/2017 ? 06:00, Ronald F. Guilmette a ?crit :
> >  >
> >  > In message <49252eda-3d48-f7bc-95e7-db716db4ed91@whitewinterwolf.com>,
> >  > "WhiteWinterWolf (Simon)" <freebsd.lists@whitewinterwolf.com> wrote:
> >  >
> >  >> Ideally, you would use a specific protection for each of these layers,
> >  >> so that an vulnerability affecting one layer would be compensated by
> >  >> other layers.
> >  >
> >  > A good point.
> >  >
> >  > Right about now, I wish that I knew one hell of a lot more about both
> >  > NFS and SMB than I do... and also SSH and TLS.  I suspect that the
> >  > file sharing protocols I am most concerned about (NFS & SMB) could
> >  > perhaps be run in a manner such that both initial volume mounts and
> >  > also data blocks (to & from) the share volumes would be additionally
> >  > encrypted, so that I could be running everything securely, even if
> >  > some attacker managed to do maximally evil things to my WiFi/WPA2
> >  > network.
> >  >
> >  > Do NFS and/or SMB have their own built-in encryption?
> >
> > No, not really.
> >
> > NFS has no built-in encryption, it may be possible to tunnel it but this
> > is out-of-scope here (using a VPN and tunnel everything would be easier
> > than nitpicking and tunnel only the NFS data flow).
>
> This statement is either false or highly misleading.  NFS (both v3 and v4)
> is an RPC protocol, and RPCSEC_GSS exists and can provide per-message
> confidentiality protection.  It may be true that Kerberos is basically
> the only GSS-API mechanism implemented for RPCSEC_GSS, and the necessary
> Kerberos setup is far more painful to set up than it needs to be,
> but all modern NFS implementations support it.

More specifically, for FreeBSD a very quick search finds

https://wiki.freebsd.org/KerberizedNFS

which includes that you can configure an export as krb5p which
encrypts the payload of RPC requests.  Although the article is dated
this year, "man mount_nfs" shows krb5p is documented in 10.3-RELEASE
so all supported FBSD versions should implement krb5p.

This is probably overkill for a home setup.

Regards,

Gary