Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:59:19 -1000
From:      Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        Alejandro Imass <ait@p2ee.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: dead box

Alejandro Imass wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk> wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a bit off-topic.
>>
>> I came in the other day to find my workstation powered off. Hitting
>> the power on button had no effect as did using another known working
>> outlet. I checked all the cables and they seem attached.
>>
>> I thought my power supply must have died so I got another, screwed it
>> in and again no joy - no sign of life.
>>
>> Anybody got any ideas what the problem may be? I'm thinking possibly
>> the power on switch but that seems a long shot and there seems no easy
>> way to replace it.
>>

> I had this happen recently (BTW it was FBSD server ;-) )! I took
> _everything_ appart, and then assembled it little by little checking
> at each step. Incredibly it just workd after reseating the CPU, RAM,
> and re-connecting every single component. Also, I swapped components
> with a similar machine for testing which will help you test the
> components on a known-working machine.
>

> Good luck,
> Alejandro Imass
>
>> My hardware:
>>
>> Antec Sonata case.
>> Gigabyte board.
>> Core 2 duo
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
############

Aloha,

Like Alejandro did two weeks ago I replaced a mobo that acted the same
way. I took the old board apart one device at a time and it remained
dead until I removed the CPU and and reseated it and up she came.

This desktop is in an un-airconditioned house here in Hawaii and we get
cool nights in the Winter months and warm days. Components walk out of
the sockets I think from the temperature changes and corrosion from the
tropic air.

You may want to see if this is the problem.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc@hdk5.net >