Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:55:53 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        Quinton Dolan <q@onthenet.com.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD nve(4) driver

--nextPart31182549.9xO3bp73MY

Hello,

I'd like to report on the nve(4) driver and it's support of my on-board=20
NIC on my MSI K8N Neo2 Mainboard (which is a nForce3 board). Dmesg says:

  nve0: <NVIDIA nForce MCP7 Networking Adapter> port 0xb800-0xb807 mem
        0xee005000-0xee005fff irq 21 at device 5.0 on pci0
  nve0: Ethernet address 00:11:09:65:fc:0d
  miibus1: <MII bus> on nve0
  nve0: Ethernet address: 00:11:09:65:fc:0d
=20
in nve.c, you write:
> NVIDIA now support the nForce3 AMD64 platform, however I have been
> unable to access such a system to verify support. However, the code is
> reported to work with little modification when compiled with the AMD64
> version of the NVIDIA Linux library. All that should be necessary to
> make the driver work is to link it directly into the kernel, instead of
> as a module, and apply the docs/amd64.diff patch in this source
> distribution to the NVIDIA Linux driver source.

I've not done any patching, but I've simply kldloaded if_nve. This machine=
=20
is running:

  $ uname -mrs
  FreeBSD 6.0-BETA1 amd64

The NIC is working, I can ping etc. However, when there isn't any network=20
activity, I'm starting to see these messages, with the timeout occurring=20
about every 30 seconds:

  nve0: device timeout (1)
  nve0: link state changed to DOWN
  nve0: link state changed to UP
  nve0: device timeout (1)
  nve0: link state changed to DOWN
  nve0: link state changed to UP
  nve0: device timeout (2)
  nve0: link state changed to DOWN
  nve0: link state changed to UP

If you'd like me to run tests, I can do that.

While I'm here - this mainboard also has a second on-board NIC, which uses=
=20
a RealTek 8169S. Comments in the code for the re(4) driver say that the=20
driver takes advantage of the 8169S' RX/TX checksum offloading. It would=20
appear that despite the name, that chip isn't so bad. How does the MCP7=20
in combination with nve(4) compare? Which of the two chips do you=20
recommend I use under FreeBSD?

Cheers
Benjamin