Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:32:48 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Offtopic sorta

Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net> types:
> I was hoping for something less resource nasty - because I have alot of
> users to poll via pop3 and its a waste if you ask me!

You're pretty much out of luck, then. There are two parts to your
problem - finding out if you have new mail, and finding the user to
tell them.

The latter part is actually the interesting one - assuming you have a
program running on your Unix box that knows user X just got mail, how
do you notify them on a Windows box? They obviously each have to have
a daemon running that gets the notice.  Does it connect to something
on your machine, and start with a note saying who it belongs to? Does
it leave the connection open, or give you a number for a return
connection? Do you require static IP addresses, and just keep a table
of username->hostname mappings? What if the person is no longer logged
in, or the daemon isn't running - do you just waste the bandwidth
sending it?

Finding out about new mail is easy - you got two choices. For most
MTAs, you just have to check the delivery box at regular intervals,
and notice when it changes. If you're running sendmail, then the local
mail delivery agent will send a notice to the comsat port. If you're
not running sendmail, you'll have to check your MTA (qmail doesn't
support comsat).

Bottom line - given the currently available technology, doing
something that's a lot less wasteful may be impossible. Getting a
little better involves inventing and implementing at least one new
mechnaism, and reimplementing another.

If you're really interested in improving this, drop me private email
and we'll discuss it offline.

	<mike