Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 11:45:19 -0400
From:      Rob Miracle <rwm@MPGN.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Read error

On Ignacio Gorfinkiel's <igorfinkiel@gameshighway.com> system which I am
helping with, we reported a problem with the Adaptec AIC 7880 not wanting
to boot the hard drive.  In the Troubleshooting FAQ on the FTP site for
2.2.6, it said that the Read error was related to a bug in the BIOS on some
AL440LX mother boards.  Our system has an R440LX mother board with a
Phoenix BIOS and it exhibits the same problem.  The solution listed
(installing Booteasy in compatible mode) worked.

The documentation needs updated to reflect boards other than AL440LX (maybe
all 440LX versions) may have the problem.

Thanks for the help!!!

Rob