Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:12:44 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Eyal Soha <esoha@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burning audio cds

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:30:28PM -0800, Eyal Soha wrote:
> I've seen a lot of people asking how to burn cds but no answers.  It
> almost seems like no one knows how to burn a CD.  Regardless:

Hm, I'm burning CD's in FreeBSD since one and a half year or so and had
almost no trouble.

> Is there a way to make a duplicate of a CD?  How?

If you mean an 'image' copy: try dd with block size 2048. I think there's
'sdd' in the ports collection for CD's that have tricky copy protection
causing dd to fail. For audio CD's, this does not work. You have to
grab the audiotracks with one of the programs in the ports collection
(cdda2wav comes to mind).

> What's the proper way to convert an mp3 into raw format for burning a
> cd, and then what burncd options should be used?

Convert mp3 to wav with some program. Lately I used xmms ('disk writer
plugin') to do this. Then I used sox to convert the (mono, 22kHz in my case)
wav into a standard audio CD track. Then it's simply a matter of burning it
with cdrecord. Probably it can be done smarter, but this worked.

Karel.