Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:52:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: elf and -current

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to build the elf tool chain in 3.0 -current on my test box.
> > 3.0 -current is the October 6 Snapshot.
> >
> > Also has anyone managed to build the elf tool-chain with gcc-2.8?
> > with gcc-2.8 the dynamic loader bombs out
>
> Why on earth would you want to use gcc-2.8 ??
> Getting tha system ELF'ified is errorprone enough, you dont need extra
> "help" from a new (potentially) buggy compiler....

I don't know about Amancio, but I "ELF'ified" to get egcs support, and
purposely avoided gcc 2.7.x due to C++ problems.  The elfkit itself was
very slick, however, two or three things should probably be addressed.

1.) So far only FSF gcc will work as a cross compiler (not elf to elf, but
	a.out to elf), egcs bombs out here.
2.) The shared libc depends on the crt* code, and the crt* code depends on
	the static libc.
3.) The crt* code seems to be missing a few symbols that libc uses.
	However it's probably missing a few more.  Anyone care to fill me
	in as to which ones are missing?

El hombre mas brillante dijo una vez "Cuidado hay NT". (it's a nerd thing)

- alex