Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 16:49:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk115 slow ?

> > using the appletviewer. Even simple things like the Fractal demo seem
> > to eat 20% of my CPU (Pentium133). The same thing run on netscape 3.04
> > only consumes 5% CPU .
> >
> > Am i doing something wrong, or the jdk115 vm is very slow ?
>
> I don't notice it being any slower than the stock JDK on Solaris running
> on similar hardware.
>
> Also, it's about as fast as most other OS's JDK's using the standard
> 'benchmarks' available.

ok. What 'benchmarks' could i use, and would you have a chance to run
things under netscape and see if there is a difference.

> Are you using netscape 4 or netscape 3?  If netscape 3, then the

netscape3 -- I hate it when the new version of a program is twice the
size of the previous one.  When i have the need for the new features i
will consider paying the penalty.

> difference is probably one of JDK1.0 vs. JDK1.1.  JDK1.0 is much
> smaller, and hence much faster. :(

hmm... shouldn't the Java virtual machine be the same -- or possibly
faster ?

	cheers
	luigi