Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:42:58 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble with DHCP client

Actually, that is possible.  I have AT&T myself, and They recently
sent me a letter asking me to reconfigure my dhcp client.  Turns out
it came in the mail just hours before my machine went offline.  I had
to unplug the modem for about a minute and reboot my machine.  Even
then, I had to manually restart the dhcp client.
It's pretty ugly, but I have a quickie script that does that for me:
kick_dhcp.sh:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/killall dhclient
/bin/sleep 1
/sbin/dhclient xl0
/bin/sleep 2
PING=`/sbin/ping -c 1 netnews.attbi.com | /usr/bin/grep " 0% packet
loss"`
if [ "$PING" ]; then
    exit 0
else
    /usr/bin/killall dhclient
    /bin/sleep 1
    /sbin/dhclient xl0
fi

I know  there is probably  a cleaner way to  do this, for  instance, I
don't think the dhclient process stays  resident, but it does the job.
If  the dhcp  isn't  negotiated, the  ping fails  and  the restart  is
retried. I also see a message on stderr that the lookup failed.

The drawback is that if the dhcp negotiation works, but
netnews.attbi.com is unavailable for other reasons, it will try to
restart dhcp even though it is fine.

HTH
Lou

On 09/11/02 06:40 AM, Cameron Haegle sat at the `puter and typed:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I do have this line in my rc.conf.
>
> Pardon me asking this potentially stupid question, but is there a
> possibility that my cable provider (AT&T Broadband) is preventing my system
> from negotiating the DHCP request?
>
> Cam

Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

economics, n.:
  Economics is the study of the value and meaning of J.K. Galbraith.
    -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"