Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 02:57:43 -0400
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using an extended partition for freebsd

Hi everyone:

I am installing 4.7-REL on a PC with one PRIMARY and one EXTENDED partition.
  The PRIMARY
partition is FAT and I have W98 there.  I want to use the EXTENED partition
(the WHOLE partition -
there is currently nothing there) for FreeBSD but I read that FreeBSD needs
to be installed into
a PRIMARY partition.

SYSINSTALL's FDISK program has an option ("Change Type") that lets me change
the EXTENDED
partition to FreeBSD, but I don't know if it is changing the partition to
PRIMARY or just making a
cosmetic Label change.  And if it is making the change, will the BIOS
recognize it (will anything
break)

Will SYSINSTALL's FDISK program do what I need it to do?  If not, what tool
can I use to change
the EXTENDED partition to a PRIMARY partition?

FYI, SYSINSTALL's FDISK screen is:

Disk Name: ad0
Disk geometry: 4865 cyls/ 255 heads / 63 sectors = 78156225 (38162MB)

       Offset              Size           End            Name         PType
       Desc.           Subtype        Flags
                  0                 63               62            -
        6           unused             0
                63     12594897   12594959       ad0s1            2
      fat               11
    12594960     65561265   78156224       ad0s2            4
extended        15
    78156225             9135   78165359           -                6
     unused            0

Thanks in advance,

John

(c) Copyright 2002  John Daniels.  All rights reserved.