Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:26:23 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 2940 Waiting for scsi to settle

It looks like this problem is greater that it appears.

So far, I have seen other e-mails regarding the same issue:
Adaptec 2940 scsi cards not working with FreeBSD
2.2.5, FreeBSD 2.2.6, or FreeBSD 2.2.7.

Adding to this problem is my findings:
My new Adaptec AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.34.3 (1998) experiences the
same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)
My new Adaptec AHA-2940UA BIOS 1.32 (1997)  experiences the
same waiting for scsi to settle (forever)

BUT!
My older Adaptec AHA-2940UW BIOS 1.25 (1996) DOES NOT
experience the dreaded 'waiting for scsi to settle'

Hmmm, this leads me to believe that there has been a BIOS change
to these cards that is not compatible with the current 294x drivers
in FreeBSD 2.2.5 2.2.6 2.2.7.

I've checked into the termination of the SCSI devices: all works
in other operating systems

I've checked into the AUTO termination setting on the cards
and disabled AUTO to the correct manual config (still no help)

Does anyone have some light to shine on this issue?

I have not seen any favorable responses to other people's
request for assistance on this issue.

Is this a NON-ISSUE because 3.0 fixes it? t-- I have not used
3.0 so I cannot answer this question.

Would a FreeBSD Adaptec Developer need a new SCSI PCI card
for R&D to fix this problem?  (This is an offer)