Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:53:47 -0400
From:      "Jeff Tipton" <jeff.t@mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pwd.db/spwd.db file corupption when having unsafe system poweroff

Hi,

I think if you hold down the power button for several seconds, it's the PSU you are switching off -- directly, without the operating system involved. Or else, it couldn't be the last resort when the OS hangs.

As for preventing such things to happen during power outages -- use UPS; it will protect from short power failures. For longer power failures, UPS control and monitoring systems can help you, such as sysutils/nut or sysutils/upsd (also depends on UPS model). They usually have a function of initiating graceful shutdown after user-predefined time of AC failure (you calculate the time depending on how long the batteries endure the load).

-Jeff