Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 10:34:59 -0400
From:      Mark Plummer <markus@clark.net>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        Gregory James Hormann <ghormann@indiana.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3com509 vs 3com509b

> Gregory James Hormann wrote:
> >
> > I need to purchase a Ethernet card.  I am looking into the 3com
> > 3c509B-combo.  The ep driver supports 3c509, is that the same as the
> > 3c509B?
> >
> I *belive* the 'B' is the only one supported!
>
> -Enjoy
> Gary

hello,

    i have had old 3c509's work very well, but anything i buy today is
designated 3c509B and has never worked for me.  it seems to me that the
509 and the 509B are very different with only the 509 supported.  i'd love
for someone to post authoritatively on the subject, but this has been my
experience.  if you are looking for a decent, cheap 8-bit card, try one
of the many NE2000 compatible cards.  they will likely be cheaper, give
you less hassle than the 3coms, and be much easier to find.

markus

-- Mark Plummer, markus@clark.net, +1 410 796 1272