Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:20:12 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        <silby@FreeBSD.org>, wmoran@iowna.com, silby@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/29045: Heavy disk usage causes panic in ffs_blkfree

On Thursday 10 January 2002 13:22, silby@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> Synopsis: Heavy disk usage causes panic in ffs_blkfree
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: silby
> State-Changed-When: Thu Jan 10 10:21:00 PST 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> Looking at this PR now, it seems likely that the corruption is
> being caused by bad settings on the via southbridge (fixed in
> 4.5), or the DTLA starting to corrupt data (reported elsewhere).
> Have you found either of these two to be the case?

I believe that it's very likely that one or the other is the case, but I
do not yet have proof of either.
Are you saying that upgrading to 4.5-PRE _should_ fix the problem?
I currently have a workaround. If I use a 40 conductor cable, the drive
speed is throttled by the mobo to ATA33 and the problem does not
occur.  I would be willing to put an 80 conductor cable back on and
see if the problem still exists if there is a likelyhood that upgrading will
fix it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services