Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:04:49 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Parker Brown <pbbrown@charter.net>
Cc:        BSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't Boot From 5.0 CD #1

Parker Brown wrote:
> Ready to build 5.0, but when I try to boot CD #1, I get the following:
>
> CD Loader 1.01
>
> Building the boot loader arguments
> Read Error 0x01
> Could not find Primary Volume Descriptor
>
> I'v never seen this one before.  Can anyone help?

I just saw this the other day with a FreeSBIE CD that I burned.  Let me
guess, it's older hardware, isn't it?  I'll bet that computer won't boot
many new CDs (Windows XP, for example) but boots most older ones.

I don't know the details of the new CD booting standard, but there
obviously is one.

I'll bet you can work around it by booting from floppy and then telling
the installer to get its files from the CD.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies