Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:22:50 -0400
From:      "William A. Maniatty" <maniatty@aztec.cs.albany.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Lawrence Farr" <freebsd-hw@epcdirect.co.uk>, "'Edwin Culp'" <eculp@encontacto.net>, "'Paul Chvostek'" <paul@it.ca>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, eric@fnordsystems.com, msmith@mass.dis.org, maniatty@cs.albany.edu
Subject:   Re: Server recommendation for co-location.

Ack!  I just specified a system with a 3ware card for my lab's file
server based on storagereviews recommendation.   I think I'm going to
have to ask for a substitution and get the adaptec for 4x40 GB ATA 100 drives.
(I was going to go raid 0 as I'm willing to shut down and do a restore
if we lose a drive in this environment, I expect drive loss to be rare).
I think I can still make a change in plan, but I don't have much time.

Since word on the street is 3ware is out of the controller business,
is Adaptec the only HW ATA raid game in town (2400A series) for my setup?
If so does the Adaptec controller have known problems?

Regards:

Bill Maniatty