Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:36:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      MAX YEO <yc.yeo@student.qut.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Need HELP on AlphaStation 200  freebsd installation.

Hi All,

I have a Digital Alpha200 station planned to be install with FREEBSD OS.
Firstly I am having the trouble of booting up at the main console, I used
the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to boot up to begin the installation. Right
after it boot up with the prompt of terminal selection where you have 4
choices, my keyboard give no response to the machine. Wonder why?

Secondly, alternatively, i used a serial port connection  terminal(VT320)
to get the console prompt. I am able to boot up and begin with
installation process. But the only thing is that I have the error message
on installation which are from the documentation files where i presume
that it do no harm to the installation process. Upon the end of
installation process, where we suppose to put in root passwd, the process
was skipped, due to unknown reason. I tried to reboot after the
installation, but the OS does not even get boot up.

here's ther error msg after I reboot:

(boot dka0.0.0.6.0 -flags a)
block 0 of dka0.0.0.6.0 is a valid boot block
reading 15 blocks from dka0.0.0.6.0
bootstrap code read in
base=if2000, image_start=0, image_bytes=1e00
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 1e4000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code
*** keyboard not plugged in ...
Can't open file /boot/loader
*** keyboard not plugged in ...

halted CPU 0

halt code=5
HALT instruction executed
PC=20000038
boot failure

So, how should i get the freebsd running?
Do we need to update the alpha station firmware ?

Thanks .

max