Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 00:13:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recent changes to -current

I just made some changes to the pccard code that might affect people.

1) The IRQ allocated for the controller is now pulled from the 'top' of
   the IRQ list, vs. the bottom (like Win95).  This means that if it
   used IRQ 3 in the past, it may now use IRQ 15 with the new code.
   There were enough people who had problems with the built-in hardware
   living at IRQ 3 that FreeBSD didn't know about that I felt a change
   was good.

2) Code to make the modem 'speaker' code work on CIRRUS logic chips.  It
   didn't seem to negatively affect my box (which has the chip), but
   neither did I check to see if it did anything with my modem differently.

3) A new sysctl was added 'machdep.pccard.apm_pccard_resume', which
   defaults to 0.  This is basically the PAO code that some have assured
   me makes their systems suspend/resume with cards work 100% flawless.
   Since it's new, it's disabled by default, but can be easily enabled.
   I'd like people to try it out (especially those who have complained
   lately that suspend/resume doesn't work with cards inserted), and see
   if it makes things better.

Note also the other option that PHK converted to a sysctl (which I
copied to I could easily "syctl" the new option above).  You may want to
set 'machdep.pccard.pcic_resume_reset' to 1 as well to see if that makes
any differences one way or the other.

These changes only affect laptops current -current for now, although if
I get a chance I may build some patches against 2.2 and send them to the
list for review.

Finally, just because I did this recently doesn't mean I'm going to do
anymore.  I got tired of people feeling like they *had* to install the
PAO patches, when in fact 95% of the functionality already exists in
FreeBSD.  There are still some important patches in PAO (most notably
driver changes), but I don't have the time nor desire to wade through
them and merge them into FreeBSD.  (Although, I may do the stuff to
support my SCSI CD at some point in the near future ;)

Nate