Date:      02 Oct 2001 20:41:38 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   switching desktops in gnome

Hi,

Since reloading my machine with FreeBSD 4.4, I have installed Gnome
from ports (1.4.1b2)

Since doing this, I can no longer use my keyboard to switch workspaces
like I could before. I have this problem is icewm and windowmaker.

When I start using Gnome, the keyboard works fine. I can switch
between workspaces using META-CTRL-LEFT and META-CTRL-RIGHT. At the
time of launching an application, all is still functional.

After launching an application I can move to either the next or the
previous workspace. At this point I can no longer use the keyboard to
move desktops and I can no longer use the keyboard to launch
applications (eg META-T launches an Eterm)

Once I open an application in this workspace using the mouse, I get
keyboard control back and can then move between workspaces again,
until I change to a workspace with no running applications. Then the
problem repeats.

I've removed gnome, re-installed it, and deleted $HOME/.gnome and
$HOME/.gnome_private, but when I start gnome again the problem
persists.

I've tried using both icewm and windowmaker without gnome, and I am
able to switch workspaces to my hearts content.

Has anyone else come across this and if so, can you suggest a solution
?

Thanks in advance,

--
Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. - Yeats