Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:45:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is NIS/YP buggy or broken?

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Tom wrote:

:>On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, O. Hartmann wrote:
:>
:>> Dear Sirs.
:>> I have problems with an installation of NIS/YP and it seems to be
:>> some kind of nasty to me.
:>> My boxes are running all FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE and at this moment I
:>> switched off all IP filters, snort or inetd's option "-wW" to avoid
:>> blocking some services.
:>>
:>> I installed one machine as a master server and this worked fine.
:>> This machine runs "ypserv", "ypbind -s -S XXXXXX,localhost (or name of host)",
:>> "rpc.ypxfrd" and "rpc.yppasswdd". At first I tried also to run "keyserv"
:>> and "rpc.ypupdatedd" due to needs of secure RPC.
:>>
:>> Main problem is, that ypbind is not able to connect to the local server
:>> "ypserv" or when creating/changing new maps, the master server can not
:>> contact its slave servers, no matter why. The error is always that it
:>> could not create an UDP handle or "no such host or address" or similar.
:>> What's wrong? When running inetd -lwW I assured in /etc/hosts.allow all
:>> services like ypserv, rpc.XXX, keyserv and yppush,ypxfr to be accessd
:>> from the local net, also the IP filter is transparent for all packets
:>> on the lokal net. But it is always the same, no contact to the master
:>> or slave servers.
:>>
:>> On hosts which act as clients could never be initiated a service connection to
:>> master or slave server (all machines are on the same network).
:>>
:>> I tried the simplest installation described in the handbook - without success,
:>> the same behaviour (also on new machines without any specialized security installaions).
:>> I regret that SecureRPC is not mentioned further in the handbook (about how to use
:>> keys etc, maybe this is focus for the malfunction anywy).
:>>
:>> So, at last I would like to as whether the NIS/YP implementation on FreeBSD is
:>> broken or not?
:>
:>  It works fine.  I've have a 4.2-STABLE system running in hybrid mode
:>(both a server and client), pluse a 3.4-STABLE slave server.
:>
:>  No NIS services use inetd so it pointless to pursue that.
:>
:>  Do you have /var/yp/securenets set up?  It sounds like it is not.

Hello.

Yes /var/yp/securenets is set up. I try now to set up it in a special way
to point to no securities to see whether this is the failure-impact or not.

:>
:>> Thanks,
:>> Oliver
:>>
:>> --
:>> MfG
:>> O. Hartmann
:>>
:>> ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
:>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
:>> IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
:>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
:>> Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
:>> Becherweg 21
:>> 55099 Mainz
:>>
:>> Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)
:>> Tel: +496131/3924144
:>> FAX: +496131/3923532
:>>
:>>
:>>
:>> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
:>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message
:>>
:>
:>
:>Tom