Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:35:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>
To:        Peter Kurpis <kurpis@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: installed 3.2 and can't boot

<SNIP>
> BTW, when I first went to set partitions (in the novice installation), it
> would
> not let me allocate a root partition -- I forgot the exact error message,
> but it
> said something like partition too large, and something like the placement
> was
> wrong (sorry to be so vague).  I got around this by asking for automatic
> allocation, and changing the values for each partition, to get:

3.2 requires that the root partition is contained within the first 1024
cylinders of the disk. Your partitiontable below suggests that this is not
the case, either shrink the windows partition so that / fits within the
first 1024 cylinders, Partition magic or install on a second harddrive. I
don't remember if it's 4.x or 5.0 that supports booting from beyond the
1024th cylinder but that might be your third option, to upgrade FreeBSD.

> (2) Once I get FreeBSD successfully installed, will I be able to mount the
> MS Windows slice and access files?  I read somewhere that FAT32 wasn't
> generally supported.
>
> Thanks!

FAT32 is supported in the newer releases, sorry but I don't know when the
support came.

E-Mail: Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>