Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:03:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sujal Patel <smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: possible 4th option? [Re: kern/1102]

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, John Polstra wrote:

> They're not unused -- they're _reserved_.  If you stick anything other
> than 0 in them, you're technically no longer producing a valid ELF file.
> The analogous objection applies also to other ELF header fields such as
> e_type, e_machine, and e_flags.
>
> This may seem like a minor nit, but it's not.  Suppose somebody else,
> say Sun, also decides to identify their executables using the extra
> bytes of the e_ident tag.  Suppose their choice of values collides with
> yours.  Too bad, you're out of luck.

You are absolutely correct here.  Unless it's in the standard, it's a
hack.

> I'm going to try to add this kind of identification to our FreeBSD ELF
> executables, and fix the kernel to recognize them.  (Unfortunately, as
> usual, the binutils code maze is doing its best to make this difficult
> for me.)  I'd like to coordinate this with the Linux people, if they're
> interested.

If you can coordinate with the Linux people, then I think this would be
worthwhile;  otherwise we may be the only ones using this technique.

I still think that we will need a method for the user to specify EXACTLY
what type of binary we're dealing with (for those "slip through the crack"
cases).  I think that a variation of my original patch (moving all
environment parsing to libc), would work very well for this.

Sujal