Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:53:51 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Ronj_clark@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail question

Ronnie Clark <ronj_clark@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Thanks for the response. Here is the last entry in the
> maillog file:
>
> Sep 29 03:01:48 src@rc_gcux sendmail[1204]:
> i8T81lo5001204: to=root, delay=00:00:00,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=31632,
> relay=[127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:
> Connection refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> This makes sense that the log says what it does since
> I have sendmail_enable="NONE". What I am asking is if
> there is a way to not have this file at all since
> there is no need to send amy mail of any kind from
> this server. Make sense?

Not really.

A lot of stuff in FreeBSD uses email for notifications and the like.
A few examples are cron (which will email the output of cron jobs) and
periodic.  If you want to disable _all_ mail delivery, you'll need to
track down all of these utilities and either a) prevent them from
running or b) arrange for notifications from them to be sent via some
other means.

I don't know that a comprehensive list of these applications has ever
been compiled, but I think disabling them and mail delivery is A Bad
Idea (tm) because you're pretending your smarter than 30 years of
Unix system administrators' combined experience.

The Right Thing To Do (tm) is to set sendmail_enable="NONE" (or
replace sendmail with ssmtp) and configure the "root" account to
forward to your email account so you can properly receive these
informative emails.  If you're not familiar with sendmail or
uncomfortable with it doing anything, check out the handbook page
on replacing it with ssmtp:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

HTH.