Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 10:47:39 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Martin <sigma@pair.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic 948 (and 946)

>Is Buslogic still not releasing information on programming their new
>gee-whiz-bang 948 SCSI controller (and its sister the 958)?  I did manage
>to get the 948 to work with 2.1.0R, by setting "ISA Mode" to "Primary", so
>it maps itself like a 946.

All the multi-masters use the same commands, so the 958 and the 948 are
compatible with the 946.  Buslogic will gladly send you the programming
info.  In fact I have the docs and plan to update our Buslogic in July
(I have an AdvanSys driver to finish first).

>Do I correctly understand, though, that the bt driver doesn't do tag
>queueing?  So that the Buslogic, although more physically stable than
>Adaptec controllers, is really a waste of money right now?

No tagged queueing.  Is it a waste of money?  That's for you to decide.
The comments about physically stability are interesting, though.  My
2940 seem "solid" enough. 8-)

>I'm trying to settle on which controller to use for future systems; I'm
>guessing the Adaptec 3940 or 3940W.

For the moment.  Yes.  In the future, that may change to a Buslogic or
AdvanSys.  You might also try an NCR which is very stable for 95% of
the devices on the market.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations