Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:25:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS thoughts

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> why would you mount _both_ soft and intr? to me they seem mutually
> exclusive.

Well, if one hangs and doesn't respond to ^C, and then the other doesn't
either, why not try both? ;)

> 'intr' allows you to intrupt a hung NFS proc so that it recives a
> transient error on a filesystem call, the process will hang forever unless
> NFS comes back, or you ^C it

Theoretically.  I would type something like "df" or "mount", and then that
was the end of it.  If I recall the process was in the state
"vfswait"(?) in ps.  If I tried to login, I'd get the motd and then a "NFS
server x.x.x.x /var/mail not responding" and the session was locked.

> 'soft' automates that with a timeout however signals won't work, but after
> some time the process will unhang and get an error on the filesystem call.
>
> Are you trying to get an auto-timeout like mount with that ability to ^C?

I think that would be great.  However, I'd settle for either one working
with v3.  Since I've moved to v2 and udp, everything seems better.  I can
down the nfs interface and continue on my way.  If "mount" or friends
hangs, a ^C interrupts it...

> generally intr is best, the idea of many processes timeing out on NFS
> mounts should the server crash, makes my stomach turn.

Yeah, this is a pretty simple setup.  Just two machines sharing files over
a 100Mb private network.  I export /var/mail to the shell machine for the
convenience of the shell users, and export /home /staff to the mail
machine so it can read any .procmailrcs that people have put there.
Overall, very little traffic...

> <rumor>
> btw, didn't the FreeBSD project pay someone big bucks to fix some of these
> problems?
> </rumor>

I haven't heard that, but I'm really surprised no one using it in a
commercial environment got tired of buying Sun boxes for NFS serving and
commisioned someone to fix things up instead.  If I had the cash I'd pony
up, file sharing is very nice, especially in a secured environment...

Thanks,

Charles