Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 16:30:00 -0500
From:      mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Low VM killing policy.

I recently upgraded to XFree 3.3 + Matrox Millenium.  The new server takes
up a lot of memory (RES: 11M according to top).  This causes it to be killed
whenever I get low on VM.

This is all well and good, except that XFree doesn't give up control of the
console when it dies.  My machine is effectively locked, since I don't have
another machine I can use to contact it.

Is there any way to "protect" a particular process from being killed when the
system runs out of memory?  That is, could I tell the system to sacrifice
Netscape or something?

Alternatively, is there a way that I could arrange to get control of the
console after XFree is killed?

Thanks,
-Chris