Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 16:55:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        stockwel@visi.com (Ted Stockwell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jaz drive?

Ted Stockwell is responsible for:

> I'm trying to use a Jaz drive with FreeBSD 2.2.1 and an adaptec 1542
> scsi controller.  The drive behaves fine when I boot Windows 95, but I
> can't seem to make a disk usable under FreeBSD.  I found some old mail
> in the archives which gave some steps (scsiformat, disklabel, newfs),
> which did not work.  The disklabel fails unless I go in with fdisk and
> change some things.  When I get the disklabel to succeed, then the
> newfs will hang after printing a few backup superblocks, at which
> point the whole system is wedged and must be a power cycled.
>
> Any suggestions?
>

> --
> Ted Stockwell, stockwel@visi.com

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Jaz drives don't behave well
under FreeBSD 2.2, in particular, newfsing them.  I've had your same
problem under 2.2.  However, Jaz drives I've set up with 2.1.7 and now
use under 2.2 do work just fine.

Does anyone have a better clarification?  It seems odd that Jaz drives
would work okay under 2.1.7 but not so well under 2.2.1.