Date:      06 Nov 2001 10:53:50 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>
To:        chia an <alan_qc@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how we can know?

chia an <alan_qc@yahoo.com> writes:

> hello;
>   is there any way to know if our machine with freebsd
> operating system is secure from hacker?how  can we
> testing  our machine if it is secure or not?

Firstly, ensure that all relevant security patches have been
applied. Check  http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html to get more
information on how to track these.

Secondly, make sure that no unneeded services are running on the
machine. If you don't need lpd, don't run it. Same goes for any other
service.

Lastly, keep a close eye on your logfiles, and if possible implement a
firewall using ipfilter or ipfw.

--
Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com>

Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. - Yeats