Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:39:31 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indiscriminately installing all .h files in /usr/include/*

Peter Wemm wrote:
> I've been wondering if we need an explicit list of files to install for
> a while.  We've got lots of junk in /usr/include/dev/* that really shouldn't
> be there.  The only stuff that should be there are things to define
> sysctl, ioctl etc user interfaces.  Things like hardware register definitions
> and random driver internals definitions do not really belong there.
> /usr/include/usb/* is a good example.  We do similar bad things for the
> file systems.

Isn't this already handled by not placing the header files into
an area where header files are normally installed from and/or
not naming them as install targets in the makefile?

For example, if_fxpreg.h lives in /sys/pci, and is not installed
into the /usr/include hierarchy, anywhere.

There are other examples in the /usr/src/usr.bin and other
utility trees, so this isn't a kernel-only thing.

Isn't this really about programmers putting header files in the
wrong place in the source tree, rather than the wrong place in
the source tree's Makefile doing what it's been told to do?

-- Terry