Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 14:26:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ping Mai <ping@stepnet.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, terry@lambert.org, peter@hw.nl, ping@stepnet.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FAQ Section 2.15...

> > > Note that the whole partition doesn't have to be under 1G, only:
> >                       ``slice''
> > >
> > > o	the disklabel
> > > o	the a slice
> >               ``partition'', Terry!
> >
> > Please avoid confusing other users with your non-FreeBSD terminology.
>
> This is actually DOS terminology... the only terminology these people
> are likely to be familiar with, considering that they can't understand
> how to install the system to get familiar with the new terminology.
>
> > If SVR4 decided to leave the Unix tradition and named what used to be
> > called a partition a slice later, that's their problem.  FreeBSD has a
> > commonly stated terminology, so use this one when talking about
> > FreeBSD.
>
> I was talking to a DOS person.
>
> BTW: you may not have noticed, but DOS users outnumber BSD users by a
> large proportion...
>
> The terminology should be irrelevent anyway.
>
> When is devfs going to be the default so I can work on deltas to it
> to make the terminology irrelevent?
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Thanks to everyone who reminded me the 1G limitation.

Sorry Terry, I don't consider myself a "DOS person".

Steps Network Solutions, Inc.                       Ping Mai
56 Allison Street                           ping@stepnet.com
San Francisco, CA 94112-3702             Voice: 415.860.0386
U.S.A.                                     FAX: 415.333.4381
Work keeps away three great evils: boredom, vice, and need.
                                               - Voltaire