Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:38:44 -0500
From:      Jim Graham <jim@n5ial.gnt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp:  "500 Illegal PORT range rejected."

I'm having trouble with ftp from my new FreeBSD system...need some
help.  When I try to ftp to (more or less) any site, with ncftp I'm
able to use cd, but everything else (ls, dir, get, etc.) results in:

   Error: connect failed.
   Reason: Connection refused

So, hoping to get a more verbose error message, I tried plain old
/usr/bin/ftp, and got the following when attempting an ls, dir, or get:

   ftp> ls
   500 Illegal PORT range rejected.
   ftp> ls -l
   500 Illegal PORT range rejected.
   425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused.
   ftp> get README
   500 Illegal PORT range rejected.
   ftp>

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)               MiSTie #49997         < Running Linux 2.2.12 >
jim@n5ial.gnt.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM / Hurricane: 30.39735N 86.60439W

             Down, not across.  --alt.sysadmin.recovery motto