Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:04:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
To:        genght@cn.ibm.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box more slow than slackware3.5 box?

> Dear all,
> I have two boxes that have the same hardware.One is FreeBSD2.2.8-RELEASE
> and the other is Slackware3.5.
> They are using the same Intel 10/100 NIC and attaching to the same 10/100
> Bay 450T switch.But when I ftp/telnet to my FreeBSD box(either from win95
> client or from linux client),it responded after a very very long time (I
> think it is dead,but not.)But the linux box work perfectly.

HMm....

> Why? Does FreeBSD2.2.8-RELEASE have some faults when handing the 100M
> ethernet?

no.  I've as well as ISP and others use freebsd with 100mb intel cards.

> I so love FreeBSD, I am not willing hear that FreeBSD is worse than
> slackware.

It isn't.

> Some one can help me?Any advice is welcome.

routing may be an issue.  Have you tried swapping cords, ports, and or
cards.  What is running on these boxes?  DNS? Gateways?  Give more info?
By the way CVSUP the latest of -stable all though thats not the problem.

JOHN