Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:56:24 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@uunet.co.za>
To:        Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Remote console into FreeBSD 4.1.1 boxen

Around Nov 13, "Randy Smith" wrote :

RS>  2) If so, has anyone setup a Lucent PM2 or other box (FreeBSD or
RS>  whatever) to console into multiple boxes? (I ask about the PM2 because I
RS>  just happen to have one lying around.)

We use this for our routers, but the problem with PC's
barfing is that it's little good to you to have the OS
logging/visible via the COM port if you can't get
to the OS :-(

I should be getting some Dell test server kit soon,
and they sell something called a DRAC card (it sounds
damn expensive - the equivalent of about $900 here in
South Africa), but it allows you to create a complete
out of band access network (modem, Ethernet, etc)
to manage these things out the box.

I remember some other hardware add-in device that was a lot
cheaper, but it's name/specifications escape me now.
The advantage of a add-in card is that you're not dependent
on the OS (in case it barfs) - it's almost Sun-like console
management.

Khetan Gajjar.
---
khetan@uunet.co.za	* Direct     -> +27 21 658 8723
UUNET South Africa	* Mobile     -> +27 82 416 0105
http://www.uunet.co.za	* Info Centre-> 08600 UUNET (88638)
System Administration   * PGP Key    -> kg+details@uunet.co.za