Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:39:03 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Waite, Michael" <Michael.Waite@compaq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 64bit and FreeBSD

> So does any one know if FreeBSD is supported on the new Intel 64bit systems
> yet.
> I am getting five of those next week and am looking for operating systems to
> run on them.

I assume you're talking about the Intel IA64, AKA "Merced"?  We're
supposed to receive hardware on Friday and begin the port in earnest
then.  We've also spent some time (well, a full day so far) being
briefed on this technology by Intel and have most of the materials we
need to start, it's just down to getting actual hardware now.
IA64 systems are still very scarce and I have to wonder how you've managed
to get *five* of the suckers.  You a close, personal friend of Andy Grove
or something? :-)

- Jordan