Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:53:07 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        User Witr <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 4.3-RELEASE compiler

* User Witr <witr@rwwa.com> [010427 17:35] wrote:

> bright@wintelcom.net said:
> :-As far as I know FreeBSD doesn't support nor recommened compiling
> :-things (especially large mission critical programs) with anything
> :-higher than -O.
>
> Out of curiosity, how much potential performance is FreeBSD throwing
> away by banning -O2 and -O3?  To my naive eyes it would seem better
> to light that candle (try fix the -O2 bug) than curse the darkness.
> Assuming there is significant performance gain and there truly is only
> one major -O2 bug.  -O2 used to be considered "safe" didn't it?

Not that I know of.  You might want to bring up the bug fixing part
with the GCC developers, they're more likely to be able to fix it.

Be sure to read thier FAQ on submitting bug reports.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"