Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:50:51 -0700
From:      "Renaud Waldura" <renaud@waldura.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mpd-netgraph with multiple PPTP clients?

SUMMARY

Does mpd-netgraph, configured as a PPTP server, allow multiple client
connections?

LONG VERSION

Dear FreeBSD developers,

I'm running mpd-netgraph on a 4.1 STABLE system. First allow me to
congratulate the author(s) : this is a beautiful piece of software, well
implemented and with excellent documentation -- a feature unfortunately too
rare with open-source projects !

I configured mpd-netgraph (version 3.0) as a PPTP server, allowing VPN
access to my internal network. I use the default configuration from
mpd.conf_sample included in the distribution:

========= mpd.conf =========

pptp:
        new -i ng0 pptp pptp
        set iface disable on-demand
        set iface enable proxy-arp
        set iface idle 1800
        set bundle disable multilink
        set link yes acfcomp protocomp
        set link no pap chap
        set link enable chap
        set link keep-alive 10 60
        set ipcp yes vjcomp
        #set ipcp ranges 192.168.1.1/32 192.168.1.2/32
        set ipcp ranges 192.168.1.1/32 192.168.1.222/24    <-- *
        set ipcp dns 192.168.1.1

(*) only change to the original config

========= mpd.links ==========

pptp:
        set link type pptp
        set pptp self a.b.c.d
        set pptp enable incoming
        set pptp disable originate

One Windows client (98/2000) connects perfectly. The performance is OK. I'm
happy!
But a second client, attempting to connect while the first client is still
connected, is bounced with error "751 The remote computer refused the VPN
connection". On the server side, mpd says:

Sep 13 21:49:09 ebola mpd: pptp1: peer's outgoing call request denied

Needless to say I went through the documentation, but even the "PPTP hints"
section does not mention anything special about multiple client connections.
At least they don't seem prohibited, although the original configuration
(above) provisions for a single address. Which leaves with a strong doubt as
to mpd's ability to actually handle multiple client connections...

I browsed through the source code, and discovered the error message I'm
getting means that no outgoing link is defined. This seems coherent to me,
since I do not want to allow outgoing connections using this link. But I'm
confused: why would the "peer" be requesting a "outgoing call"? Is there
something fundamental I'm missing?

I tried to configure mpd with multiple PPTP links, apparently this is not
allowed. What am I missing here?

Thank you very much for your time, your comments and suggestions are very
much appreciated,

--Renaud