Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:08:53 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   roaming from AP POV

My understanding of roaming is that there are three possible
"roaming" protocols in terms of the access points.

1. none ...  you have to manually set APs to different channels.
E.g., I have the cheapest linksys AP, and it doesn't seem to
have any brains in that dept ?!

2. some proprietary scheme ...

3. IAPP, or Inter-Acess Point Protocol, which seems to have
two parts ... an exchange of UDP beacons between APs that allow
them to set themselves auto-magically to different channels,
and a handoff protocol so that in theory packets for a node
that was associated with AP A can go to AP B.

Any comments?  I suspect cheaper APs support #1 ...
Lucent does 3.  Cisco does ???

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu