Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 97 13:58:30 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "braukmann@tse-online.de" <braukmann@tse-online.de>, "FreeBSD Stable List" <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Old stuff in 2.2.5

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:02:49 +0100, braukmann@tse-online.de wrote:

>It should really be possible to explicitly exclude certain 'packages'
>from the 'make install' process. It just might be possible now by
>struggling with the makefiles, but I don't want to modify the delivered
>build-environment only for being able to select which components I
>want.

	I decided to experiment with this, and was able to prevent perl4
from building during a make world by going into /usr/src/usr.sbin/Makefile
and deleting perl in the SUBDIRS section.  I commented on this on another
thread, and a couple people have said that they've taken similar steps
with success.  I'm not sure what all is involved with sendmail, but you
might want to give it a go, and tell us how it worked for you. :)

	On another note, I'm taking the fact that no one else commented on
things that might need to be upgraded on a 2.2-Stable system (other than
perl and curses) as a good sign. :)  I'm still interested in someone
'splaining what a new curses library would do for me, and how hard it
would be to install if anyone is interested.  I think I have perl beaten
into submission.

Hope this helps,

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***