Date:      Sat, 2 Jan 1999 15:03:28 +0800 (SGT)
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NetFinity 5500-41U, cannot detect SCSI controller

Greetings,

  Hi there.  What a way to start a new year.
  If it is a sin to cross-post, I beg your forgiveness, but feeling
  a bit desperate here.

problem:
  Just got the above mentioned hardware, been trying to install 3.0
  on it.  Tried with the normal floppy boot-image, and then the CAM
  boot-floppy, but both was not able to detect the on-board
  SCSI controller.

background:
  According to the hardware specs, the SCSI controller is a IBM
  PCI ServRAID-3H/3L wide fast SCSI2, whatever that means.
  I opened up the cover to take a peek inside, saw two Adaptec
  AIC7880P chips in there.

  I tried fiddling with the BIOS setup, and the SCSI controller
  has been assigned interupt 11, but it does not help.  BTW, the
  PCI bus are mostly Plug-and-Play, does it matter???

my take:
  The way I look at it, IBM probably uses its own BIOS, causing
  the Adaptec not to respond to the hardware probe.  What do you
  think.  Or I shouldn't assume that a adaptec chipset means it
  will defintely work.  Or am I missing something entirely, such
  as the APM (power mgmt), or USB controller, both of which are
  detected.

greetings:
  Seasons Greetings to you,
  Wishing  You