Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 15:21:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@snake.srv.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.2 lockups

I recently upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.2.2.  It was a clean re-install (I
reformatted the disk).  It is on an Intel 386 (25 or 33 MHz, I can't
remember) with 8mb of RAM and a 500mb IDE hard drive.  I have been using
2.1.0-R with no problems for over a year.

Before I go on to the problems, I will say a few good things about 2.2.2.
Using an antiquated 386, efficiency improvements in the operating system
tend to be a little more apparent than for a late model pentium.  The
first thing I noticed is that FTP transfers of ~300 kilobyte files were
almost maxing out the ethernet bandwidth at 900 to 1060 kbytes/sec,
whereas I was used to seeing 180 to 300 kbytes/sec with 2.1.0-R.  Wow!
Samba performance also seems disctinctly more crisp and lower latency,
although I can't quantify it.

The bad news is that I have had several lockups or crashes in a variety of
circumstances.  There is no common thread really except to say that the
machine is doing something when it crashes rather being in an idle state.
I will give two examples.  (1) A "host -l" to certain domains over pppd
seemed to very reliably crash the system.  This problem does not happen
with user ppp, although the "host -l" process itself might die.  (2)
Creating a tar archive directly a floppy disk, "tar -cvf /dev/fd0 ..."
also seemed to crash the system.

I don't like crashing the system, so I have learned to avoid activities
which do so, and now things seem to be working well.

I don't expect any help with specific problems I mentioned, but what I am
wondering is if the main FreeBSD systems programmers are all doing their
work on reasonably up-to-date and fast machines, is it possible that they
are missing some timing problems that might be picked up on older, slower
computers?

Charles Mott