Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 23:43:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, irc@cooltime.simplenet.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> > Over fast local links, the speed of your disk often affects the speed
> > of the install more than network issues.
>
>   If 200 KB/s is too much for your disks, it is time to join the late
> '80s and get new disks.

Note that even some brand new disks will bottleneck you.

FreeBSD no longer does elevator sorts on data pending output,
relying instead on the disk hardware to be smarter about this,
especially given the likelihood that the drive is lying about
its pysical geometry, making it unlikely that any sort you
could do would result in an optimization.

While this is fine for disks that can support multiple outstanding
commands pending simultaneously (giving them something to sort),
it is less of a good idea for stupid disks that must be sent
commands serially.  Like, oh, say, E/IDE disks.

The FreeBSD E/IDE driver supports queued tagged commands, but
few E/IDE drives have this capability (in fact, I am not aware
of *any* that support this portion of the spec.).

It should be noted that some SCSI devices don't support tagged
command queuing, either (but we don't buy those, since they are
in the minority).

So new disks are not necessarily the answer.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.