Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 23:12:14 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
Cc:        "John R. Martz" <jrmartz@ibm.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux versus FreeBSD???

Craig Shaver wrote:

> John R. Martz wrote:
> >
> > on the differences between FreeBSD and Linux? One difference I'm really
> > curious about is that I see lots of Linux books published, but haven't
> > found one for FreeBSD yet.
>
> You may have to know a little more about hardware and Unix to run
> FreeBSD.

That's a yes-and-no situation. Linux appears to cater to the PC market,
especially to those who are used to Microsoft products.

I believe with the possible exception of ATAPI CDROM's, when FreeBSD
supports a device, it does it better than Linux. OTOH there is at least
some Linux support for most any PC hardare you can find.

> I tried Linux first, and found too many bugs.

Actually I tried 386BSD 0.0 first. Eventually tried Linux and found it much
more usable than 0.0 or 0.1 but still not good enough. Then about the 3rd
or 4th time Linux crashed and took my HD with it I heard of FreeBSD 2.0R.
Rather than update Linux yet again, I installed FreeBSD. Took about a week
to realize I was hooked.

> "Books!?  We don't need no steenkin books, we got source ... "

Most any Unix book discussing BSD or SunOS 4.1.4 or older, almost directly
applies to FreeBSD. So unlike Linux there is not the same need to cover
the differences in implementation. Also I suspect there are a lot of people
writing Linux books that never had anything to say that a publisher would
buy until they figured out how to insert "Linux" in the title.

O'Reilly & Associates has some books with "Linux" in the title. I'd expect
them to be good. And lets not forget the 5-volume BSD set ORA publishes.
Or the FreeBSD book Walnut Creek publishes.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net