Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:21:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: strange panic on Alpha, SCSI disk *type* related

Wilko Bulte writes:

 > Best guess is currently that something in the isp driver changed that made
 > the marriage of the IBM disk and the isp card a less than happy one.

<...>

 > isp0: Board Revision 1040B, resident F/W Revision 2.10.0

<..>

The isp change is that due to problems with the Qlogic firmware
copyright, Matt felt he had to remove the Qlogic firmware from the
FreeBSD (and NetBSD) trees.  Your card is now running with the
firmware that is loaded by the SRM console (2.10) rather than the
firmware that the isp driver was previously able to download (7.x).
This may be the cause of your problems.

If it is possible, try to upgrade your SRM console firmware to a more
recent version.  Modern revs of the srm console tend to load 5.x of
the qlogic firmware which might help you.  I'm running with 5.54.1 on
a number of machines here & have not seen problems.

Drew